Wednesday, October 31, 2018

#27 Dick Drott

 
 
Dick Drott   Chicago Cubs Career: Drott came to the majors in 1957 as a hard (but wild) throwing prospect and he didn't disappoint. He won 15 games for a Cubs club that won 62 games total. He also led the NL in walks allowed. He never approached that sort of season again. He pitched through 1963 with the Cubs and Colt .45s and only in '58 did he win more than 2 games in a year. In 1960: He was coming off an injury suffered early in 1959 and was largely ineffective. He was 0-6 with an ERA over 7 in 23 appearances including nine starts.   Off The Charts: According to Baseball Reference on 'April 24, 1957, Drott was ejected from a game for using a wheelchair to wheel Moe Drabowsky to first base after Drabowsky claimed he was hit on the foot by a pitch.'  The Card: Very common red/yellow/black color combo. That's not to say it is unattractive. In fact, I like it a lot. Drott got a paragraph instead of a highlights bullet list because of his limited '59 season. But he got a neat cartoon. I like knowing he collected records. A year or so later I was doing the same thing. And this is one of the cards that I swear I got in EVERY pack, cello and wax, that year. Hell, I think I was pulling this card in seventh series packs. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment